PHPP – the energy balance and Passive House planning tool
Simply using Passive House components does not necessarily yield a Passive House
A Passive House is far more than the sum of its parts: precise planning is required in order to ensure that the components used work together to acheive the desired result. The Passive House Planning Package (PHPP) is the key design tool used when planning a Passive House and as such, serves as the basis of verification for the Passive House Standard. While there are other design tools on the market, it is the the PHPP's high level of accuracy that sets it apart: energy balances can be calculated with the PHPP to an accuracy of +/- 0.5kWh!
Based for the large part on European norms, the PHPP makes use of numerous tested and approved calculations to yield a building’s the heating, cooling and primary energy demand, as well as its tendency to overheat in the warmer months. While the PHPP was developed specifically for Passive Houses, it is a design tool that may also be used for other buildings, including retrofits of historical buildings.
Version PHPP 8 (2013) out now
Worldwide applicability, added functions, improved user-friendliness and compatibility
• Validated calculation algorithms for cooling and dehumidification in both hot and hot and humid climates
• Additional climate data sets for a wide range of new locations across the globe
• Additional PV, heat pump and ground heat exchange calculation sheets as well as the estimation of the solar contribution to space heating demand – supplements that increase the PHPP’s suitability for building sustainability assessments
• A new components sheet containing PHI Certified Passive House Components along with their performance data, facilitating data entry for certified products
• Revised data selection menus and improved compatibility with MAC and OpenOffice
• Improved connectivity and accessibility via PHI’s external import and export macro
• designPH (to be released in winter 2013) - a 3D data entry tool designed for the PHPP, complete with design modelling feedback. A newly developed SketchUP plugin, designPH is set to revolutionise the way we use PHPP.
Registered PHPP users (version 2007 or newer) receive a €30 discount on the standard price (€160). All those having purchased the PHPP 7 in 2013 receive a €60 discount.
iPHA members receive a discount on the designPHplugin for Trimble Sketchup which can be purchased together with the new PHPP.
Price: €160.00 + shipping and handling for new users
11th Passive House Days
7 to 9 Nov 2014, worldwide
17 to 18 Apr 2015, Leipzig
EnerPHit - PHI certification for thermal insulation systems
PHI certification for retrofits
for certified Passive Houses
|Research & Literature|
Passive Houses for different climate zones
Retrofits with Passive House components -
EnerPHit Planner Handbook
Passive House Retail Stores now out
Overview of contents